Steubenville City Council Considers Beatty Park Bridge Project Design Proposal for First Time | News, Sports, Jobs

LISTENING – City Manager Jim Mavromatis listens on Tuesday as council weighs in on sources of funding for the repair of the Beatty Park Bridge. –Linda Harris

STEUBENVILLE — City Council got a first look Tuesday at the preliminary design proposal for the Beatty Park Bridge project, but has already decided to scrap the costliest of three job repair options.

City Engineer Mike Dolak told council he plans to recommend the hiring of Burgess & Niple to provide professional engineering services for Phase I, which consists of a structural type study and related tasks. The company’s projected lump sum cost was $76,748, but that was before the council decided to eliminate the most expensive of the three options – removing and rebuilding the original bridge, stone by stone.

“(This) option is somewhat unrealistic, it involves removing each stone one by one and marking it and then rehabilitating it,” said Dolac. “It’s a bit unrealistic to do, with the cost. There would be savings there, maybe $10,000 to $15,000 out of the $76,000.

Burgess & Niple’s proposal includes site visit, field survey control and topographic survey, high definition, 3D laser scanning and post-processing, and survey base mapping. Dolak said he would recommend that they do an architect’s rendering of both options, and said they should do an environmental review to “see what type, if any, of endangered species we have in this stream” as well as a review of cultural resources by looking at any historical red flags they might encounter.

They would also do cost comparisons of the remaining options – replacing the existing bridge with a precast culvert “more or less with 20th century materials that we could stamp, sandstone color, and take some of the existing features on the bridge and transpose ( les) on the new bridge, or rehabilitate the existing stone arch bridge.

During the discussion, Dolak had said they could use funds from the US rescue program for the study, which sparked an instant reaction.

“Are you asking or are you saying? » asked 4th District councilor Royal Mayo.

“I ask, I guess,” Dolac replied

“Because this council has decided that we are not going to spend this money until we have a budget”, Maya replied “We were about a million more than in previous years, so let’s not talk about spending ARPA funds until we decide where we’re going to spend that (deferral).”

General Counsel Kimberly Hahn said if memory serves, the city ended 2021 with a carryover of about $1.5 million, and suggested tapping into those funds to pay for preliminary design services and then d to use ARPA dollars to pay for the actual repairs to the bridge.

“Can we wait until next week when we have (CFO) Dave Lewis here and you can ask him these questions and he can answer?” Willie Paul, alderman for the 5th Ward, reminded council that he had called a finance committee meeting at 6 p.m. on August 2 to discuss how they intended to spend their ARPA funds.

Lewis, he had said, “will show us what we’ve already spent, what we had lined up, and then we can separate it after that.”

“As Willie said, we have a (finance) meeting next week,” Councilman Michael Hernon added. “I don’t think it bothers anything” wait a week.

“My only concern was that we had decided we weren’t going to start spending those funds, he specifically said ‘take him out of those funds,’ that’s why I raised the questions,” said Mayo.

“We had discussed it another time, it was one of the things we were going to take the money out of – you’ll see next week he’s going to have a breakdown of everything.”

Dolak said he would request a revised quote for the meeting, adding that it would take Burgess & Niple about three months to complete the study.

In other cases:

–Third Councilman Eric Timmons sunny emergency legislation authorizing the City Manager to sign an amendment to Task Order #12, Spahn Branch Sewer Emergency Response, with HDR Engineering for repair sewers. Utilities director Chuck Murphy warned the council that the solution would cost around $1.1 million.

– Paul called a closed meeting at 7 p.m. on August 16 to close the annual audit.

— Council heard at second reading an ordinance authorizing the city to advertise vacant building registration administrative services and agreeing to amounts and rates as determined by the budget commission and authorities necessary tax levies and certifying them to the county auditor; first reading of an ordinance amending the wording of the Vacant Property Registration Ordinance to use termination of water service as one of the criteria for assessing the vacant status of a property.

Today’s breaking news and more to your inbox